What Does "Personality Type" Have To Do With Careers?
With over 12 years of providing Career Advice and Direction via the Internet, we have found that "Personality Type" is absolutely the most powerful tool we can offer for:
- Discovering your personal career direction and then selecting a specific career
- Discovering your true path and mission in life
- Improving personal relationships, both at work and at home
Why is Personality Type such a Powerful Tool?
There are 16 different personality types within the system and each one is represented by a four letter code, known as a "Personality Type" or a "Type". There are two very important points to remember.
- First, each of us has only one "Personality Type."
- Second, your type stays the same throughout your entire life.
This latter concept is key. Your personality is the same as when you were 8 years old and it will be the same when you are 75. It is one of the very few constants in life. According to Carl Jung in his 1922 break through book, Psychological Types, "It's one's psychological type which from outset determines and limits a person's judgment ... type can describe ... the relationship of the individual to the world, to people, and things."
Personality Type describes how we "prefer" to do many things, including but not limited to:
- The type of work we prefer
- Whether we prefer to work with lots of people or just a few
- The type of work environment we can thrive in and those that will limit us
- The sources of satisfaction we can get from work
- How we get along and don't get along with other people
- Whether we show up on time for meetings or we frequently show up late
- Whether we wait till the last minute to start a project, or we start well before a deadline
- Whether we are detail oriented or big picture oriented and strategic
- Whether we prefer to multi task or focus on one or two tasks
- Whether we are disciplined and structured or we are flexible and go with the flow
- Whether we are decisive or we prefer to delay decisions while more data comes in
- Whether we are warm and caring or cold, impersonal and analytical
- Whether we prefer to be inspired or entertained
- Whether we prefer to have fun or get something done